Friday, August 14, 2009

An Ode to Broccoli


When I saw the purple broccoli at the Farmer's Market, I knew what to do. Two heads made it snuggly into my bag.

Mr. Wright isn't especially fond of broccoli - smells like I'm cooking dirty gym socks for dinner, he says. But don't you know, says I, these dirty gym socks are practically a perfect vegetable? Chock full of vitamins and minerals and goodness for your body.

Try as I might, using logic and sneaking in broccoli when he isn't looking, I just can't get him to like it. Oh, he is a good husband and eats it when I make it, but I am acutely aware that if I tried to make it often he'd start a coup.

Oh broccoli - you who fill me to overflowing with vitamin C and K. You offer me your folate and B6, thiamin and niacin, calcium and iron, potassium and manganese, and little bits of A and E. When the mister is away, how can I resist? For dinner, it's just you and me.

One of the great injustices to vegetables is how we buy and prepare it. Many people only buy frozen vegetables for the convenience. While I agree it is convenient, it is entirely unappetizing. Usually the vegetables are cooked before they are frozen, so the vegetables merely need to be reheated to serve, but it is almost impossible to reheat them without cooking them to oblivion.

I cannot stomach frozen broccoli. I'm sorry if fresh costs more (I don't know - I never buy frozen), but try to work it into your budget. You can still ruin fresh broccoli by overcooking it, but give this a try:

Saute over medium heat some chopped garlic and red pepper flakes in a little olive oil until you start to smell their deliciousness. Add your chopped broccoli florets and peeled stems and saute for about five minutes, or until they reach the tenderness that you so desire.

Bob's your uncle, alright. And, yes, use the stems. Peel off the tough outer skin and inside is glory. If you do happen to find the especially tender purple broccoli at your farmer's market, use the leaves too. Sadly, the purple broccoli loses it's lavender hue while cooking, but you will enjoy it nonetheless. Bon appetit.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes that does look very good. (And nice picture, too!) Not sure I could have only a veggie for dinner, but it sounds like a great side! Thanks for sharing. :)

KeriAnn said...

thanks for the inspiration. i'm gone get me some brocolli!