Friday, September 25, 2009

Come, Fall



Fall is my favorite season. Though I think I say that about every season. Oh, but fall…

Fall gives us the best of summer without the tyrannous heat. Come, day and light, give us your warm, low sun. Kiss our lips with the last rose of summer.

Fall gives us the best of winter without the fleeting daylight. Come, evening and dark, give us rest in your cool air. Touch our cheeks with wintery fingers.

Fall gives us the heaviness of the harvest. Come, fields, praise God with your worth. Fill our bellies with nourishing comfort.

Fall beckons wool and cashmere out from their summer tomb. Come, sweaters, enfold us in soft pile. We itch to be itching.

Fall wraps its golden thread round the trees and bushes. Come, Lord, wrap a golden thread round me. May I offer a display of your uniqueness and beauty.

Fall feels like the glorious culmination of a successful spring and summer before its wintery end. Come, Lord, place your blessing on me as I move through spring and summer, awaiting culmination. May I have a full harvest.

1 comment:

KeriAnn said...

Heather, I absolutely love and identify with all of this. Thanks for sharing.